Tuesday 18 January 2011

Alicante Close

There is a housing estate in Malvern called Tomatolands. It used to contain a large number of large greenhouses which grew tomatoes. The entrance road has a notice saying 'Harbinger Avenue leading to Alicante Close'. This has niggled me. What are the other roads called? So I checked up today. They are 'Sunrise', 'Shirley Close' and 'Challenger Close'.  Where, I ask, is 'Moneymaker Way' or 'Gardeners Delight Crescent'?

I have wound a warp of yellow wool (dyed by me last week) for a lace weave scarf. I have also turned two large skeins of Tencel 2/20 into fat bobbins ready for winding another warp. And I have played with photos of my S&W trees on Photoshop for the Leek Exhibition and did not like any of it. So I went for a walk and came up with a better design. 

I ordered a new Thermofax for Christmas Carol yesterday. The first one had a mediaeval-style font for the title and was illegible when screen printed. So this time it is in TRAJAN  which is great. The screen came today - how's that for service? and I must go and carry out a few more trials on calico. Last time I used cotton - not stout enough. High time this book was bound. Especially as I need to do three others by the end of March, two concertina and one Japanese. I can definitely see a period of design in front of me. I know what I want but can I do it? Watch this space.

This afternoon I walked round the nearby houses as the Common is seriously muddy and very slippery. I made a New Year's Resolution to go for a short walk every day. Ten minutes later I amended this to 3 times a week. There is no point in pretending that I can get time every day when Michael and hospitals and nurses have to be accomodated. And anyway there is a thing called weather. I have only managed three walks in 18 days which is not at all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.