Saturday 11 May 2019

Walsingham

The wifi went bananas at our hotel and I never got round to writing about Walsingham. I was surprised to find bus loads of people walking round the village (?). There a shrine there to Our Lady of Walsingham which is new (Victorian). These were all pilgrims. I on the other had come to see the ruins of which there was not much. left. The crypt and a single arch and several lumps of masonry in a green space.




And in the grounds, a packhorse bridge!!
And then home. The next day I went to Kings Lynn on the way home. It was pouring and the town is very unattractive. Everything I wanted to see was closed for renovation. There was only one ship at the Customs Quay and nothing else visible up and down the river except miles away where there seemed to be some yachts. I did go to True's Yard Museum where a bound book (by me) was on display. The Museum was devoted to the lives (Victorian) of the fisherfolk.

And then I droved home by way of the A1(M) and A25 and A4. I have not been on the A1 for 20 years and it still is this awful mixture of motorway and ordinary road complete with traffic lights and  roundabouts and a huge amount of lorry traffic.

I was  very taken with the seaside bit. I still feel pleased at my photographs and would like to go back for longer. Dorothy thinks she would like to go back and just paint, rather than do a course. So maybe year we might take a cottage.

And now today (Saturday) I  must put some effort into the garden, not the least to take some good photos. We have a few stunning rarities into a geranium which is enormous.








1 comment:

  1. I would like to use your image of the bridge - which is wonderful - in a book I am about to have published, on Humphry Repyon and his contemporaries. Would that be OK? How much would you want for it (it is an academic book with a short print run, I am afraid). And how do I credit you?
    Many thanks
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.