Saturday 12 May 2018

A Little Progress

I have finished binding a Victorian printing of a text on fossils. The pages were so old, they were brown and brittle. I decided to trim the book down as far as I could and it ended up okay as I have cut away all the brown and brittle bits. And I created a cover based on one of the plates of fossils plus a bit of Photoshopping printed on canvas.

Next I am going to start on miniature books. I have always liked them , well since I saw an exhibition in the Scottish NationalLibrary. So I am doing one from scratch, folding and splitting the paper and sewing up the spine. It will form part of the MAKING exhibition of photos. I have nearly reached the end for my year studying photograph and the last assignment is to organise an exhibition, albeit a virtual one. But I have organised a real one to be held at the National Needlework Archive. The exhibition is about people making things, so furniture, felt bowls, quilts and so on for ten makers. I will be the bookbinder but the rest have been very kind and said yes when asked. It has been a steep learning curve, because each is an A1 poster and the format must be identical through out. So just to show here is one of lacemaking by Kath Harris.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.