Wednesday 6 September 2017

Eisenach to Weimar

I am still in Eisenach but will shortly board a bus and end up staying tonight in Weimar. I am not a Goethe fan myself and am looking forward to moving on to Leipzig. In fact, to tell the truth, I am looking forward to going home. There are 200 people on the trip and on every occasion, you are sitting next to someone you have not met before. And I am getting life stories mixed up, I have been told so many. I skipped dinner last night. We had a large and rather nice lunch and I could not stand the noise of 120 people talking at the tops of their voices again. And in a low ceilinged room. 

But apart from my grumbles which I can work round, the music is of the highest quality, in fact it cannot be any better. After a concert by Vox Humilis, I rushed back to the hotel and put some of their CDs on my amazon wish list. I will sort them out at home. So I am glad I came for the music. I would never get two concerts a day of this quality anywhere else.

We had one concert in Muhlhausen.


An interesting graffiti in Muhlhausen.

The market in Muhlhausen


One of many decorated doorways in Muhlhausen.

I visited the Bachhaus in Eisenach. He was born here. The Museum is very good. There is a very modern bit with headphones everywhere to listen to music and this is built onto the original half timbered house. Most of the old houses here are half timbered but unlike English houses of the same materials, the timbers have a small cross section say about four inches on a side. Unlike English ones which have a basic framework of oak timber 8 to 10inches on a side. Which means they need a smaller number of timbers. When I lived in Newent, I discovered that, in mediaeval times, if you could get the roof on by nightfall, you could keep the house and the land. I always assumed that was the reason for cruck cottages where the cottage ends were formed of two great timbers put together in a triangle. This method needs fewer timbers. I have heard of a group doing that today. I would love to see  it done. Must be run like a military operation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.