Tuesday 14 June 2016

Cider with Rosie

I have finished dealing with repairs to a copy of Gilbert White. I never knew ancient bookcloth (1890 ish) would not take PVA or rather changes character when PVA is applied. Oh well. It is the best I can do.

More important, I set about Cider with Rosie which should be submitted by the end of June. I have slowly been doing things to it, redoing the spine, adding endpapers. It did not have endpapers and I thought it could do with them so searched the stash and found a nice sheet of plain green. Today I started out on the covers, a lot of measuring and cutting and printing the cover on the fancy bookcloth I bought two years ago. The printer had hiccups when I put two sheets in the paper holder which took me 30 minutes to sort out. And then the measuring, and the cutting and glueing. It is now together. and the glue will have to dry before I attach cover to book. I might be able to do it this evening but think I do it first thing tomorrow morning.


There was another exercise which occupied a lot of time over Sunday and Monday. I have a collection of pressed glass in green and clear which 1920/30s. It has been wrapped in bubble wrap in a cupboard since last September. Dorothy spotted a display case for sale locally. The problem was it would not go in her car and then she went to France. So I got Ruth and Robin to help me. When we got it home, it disintegrated and we agreed to tackle it on Monday. We took it apart and discovered that it was an IKEA object and none, but none, of the screws had been done up. We then reassembled it into a very solid object and it looks good with all the glass in it. But reassembling it took two of us three hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.