Saturday 21 May 2016

Columbia Press

I have finished two more clutch bags from lengths of four colour double weave and have decided on what else to make from various lengths of sample fabric.
I have also been extravagant and bought myself some more auriculas - only these are rather posh. They are 'show auriculas'. Dorothy was a bit a shocked at what I paid for them. They are about five pounds each. I think it is money well spent and have gloated over them, also potted them up and cosseted them. The photo below as is they arrived before potting up.

I also took a photo of the Columbia Press (built in 1850) at my lino cut class. Isn't it fantastic? The eagle moves up and down as you print.
I am currently suffering from what my son-in-law calls 'existential angst'. In other words, I am creating lino cuts to illustrate 'The Lament of the Makars' by William Dunbar and I now think the project is a mistake. So I have decided to grit my teeth and complete the last lino cut before the next class, spend the next class printing the all six in many colours and call it a day on that project. I have much better ideas on single lino cuts.

Now I am off to wind a merino warp which will be tied onto the lampas warp on the Megado.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.