Sunday 7 June 2015

Gallivanting

You would have thought that, with a house move coming up, we would be at home considering stuff. But no, I have been all over the country in the last few days. Today is at home or nearly so, tomorrow is in Birmingham. Only on Tuesday will I go back to weaving!
 
So what have I been doing? On Thursday we drove to Reading to measure/examine/consider the new house. The garden was measured and the roof space examined - which is enormous. All my yarn stash will go up there and then some. We took a paper template of the Megado with us and laid it out in various places. And found a very suitable place for it. Dorothy is very pleased. Everything is better than we remembered. We visited a local garden centre, took a bootload of stuff to Ruth and went home happy.
 
Friday I took a train up to London and met Anne. We started at the Wallace Collection. I have not been there for thirty years and it is much changed.  But the primary aim was the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition for which I had tickets to the Private View. The Times review the previous day said it was the best he had ever since - and it was. It started in the great courtyard with large metal trees, continued with the fabulous painted staircase and just got better inside.



The third one is the plan of Mexico airport!!! And the fourth one has struck a chord. I must do something about that. Oh and I bought a linocut. Dorothy thinks I should be getting rid of pictures, not buying new ones but there you go.
 
We had a very elegant lunch in Fenwicks and spent money in the hosiery section. At the end we walked up Regent Street looking in the shop windows. And Anne bought an elegant dress in Karen Millen. Then we went home - happy.
 
Yesterday (Saturday) was Guild day. A first rate talk from a member on ragrugs. And the audience demanded a course - at once! There was a great deal of interest. Earlier I disgraced myself by getting a bit cross. But there I am an old lady and a bit short-tempered. Which reminds me that one of our most stalwart members celebrated her 99th birthday with us yesterday. So we had a cake and sang to her. next year we will have to have a very special celebration.
 
Today I am going to a local show of irises and tomorrow I am going to an all-day dressmaking class with Gill Arnold. This is all to do with making up a velvet jacket. So I need to take the fabric and the pattern(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.