Friday 1 March 2013

Another Finished

As promised yesterday, this is the finished weaving from the Voyager. It is slow to weave and you have to keep a close eye on it to detect errors in weaving. There has been quite a bit of unweaving going on. This is a candidate for the Megado because of the computer, not because of the number of shafts which is only eight. The colours are correct or nearly so. There are hems at each end. Since the warp is a 2/20 cotton, the fringe is not very attractive and, although I have called it a scarf, it may end up as a runner with the fringe removed and stitched hems put in. This is because of the weft pattern yarn which is a two-ply Shetland. But soft it is not. I have washed it and it is drying now but it still feels harsh, harsher than I would want to wear next to my skin. That was a problem with the old Handweaver's Studio 2-ply Shetland. The colours were wonderful but the yarn was not as soft to the touch as that from Jamieson and Smith in the Shetlands.  Although I regret to report that they have reduced the number of colours they sell to about a quarter of what they had a few years ago.
 
So what next. Well I must finished off the Hockney sleeve at the top so that I can deliver it to Guild tomorrow. And then to tie on the Megado warps.
 
Yesterday I visited the surgery nurse to sort out what injections/medication I need for the 'Great Trip'. She did a typhoid injection on the spot and that is it. I am all up to date with everything else. She wants a postcard from Samarkand. It is getting closer and things are getting organised. The trip is all paid for (my bank account feels unwell) but no way could I be said to be living within my income this year. Oh well, I can't take it with me. I am beginning to wonder about packing and whether it would be feasible to post 'stuff' home so as to leave space in my luggage for other 'stuff'.  But is the Post Office gettable or honest in places like Dun Huang? And will padded envelopes and brown paper, sellotape etc actually take up just as much room as the 'stuff'?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.