Tuesday 15 January 2013

You don't get if you don't ask

As I get older, I go by the above title more. And it happened twice today.

When I got back from Japan, I wanted to do some more ikebana flower arrangement but was astounded by the price of the ceramic holders. So I asked a local potter if he could make some - and today I took possession!!
 And here they are. Very Japanese looking and just the thing. The two tall vases are seven inches high.

And then I visited Beckford Silks for coffee and cake and a look round. I bought a remnant of white velvet to play with dyeing but I also bought a length of printed velvet.


This was hanging up with several other patterns in a special display and, when I asked where the roll was, I was told it was finished, so I asked if I could buy that length and the young girl said no in horrified tones. I went off and found the owner and asked her. Result - one happy customer departing with 2.7 m of gorgeous dark blue Art Deco patterned velvet to make a jacket out of. I did shock the owner when I said the next problem would be to select a lining, how about bright red or black with some embroidery. She thought gold.  I think that's a bit dull. I will have to consult Gill Arnold about this.

Today the central heating was finished, the ceiling is done and the plasterer comes tomorrow and the computer engineer is currently trying to fix both machines at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.