Wednesday 30 January 2013

Progress

The weaving class went well. With a bit of help from my friends (thank you Bonnie), the tension problems were sorted. The first person to weave on the Meyer got on fine and a colourful pattern was produced. I had to make it clear to everyone that I had no idea what colour combinations would look good. Everyone is getting on with their own projects and making progress.

After the class, three of us retired to the nearest service station and discussed what to do about Linda Scurr's handspun. It is definitely a 9 epi fabric so floats of more than 3 threads are not allowed.  We settled for dog's tooth and organised the colours to use all the yarn. Then home.

On Monday evening, I went over to Leamington Spa to look after my grandson. I took the Voyager and warped it up with some tie-dyed cotton. The dye was indigo and this is supposed to be warp ikat. The warp looks as though it has gone on so the pattern will show up. nicely When I have woven a bit, I intend to tie-dye some cotton for the weft.

Today is bookbinding and I must go into town this morning and see what I can organise in the way of end-papers. My problem is that the Jules Verne book is American size and I need a piece of paper which is slightly bigger than US paper. This is because it has to be printed on the laser jet (the inkjet runs if it comes in contact with anything water-based) and the laser jet printer will leave a white margin round the edge, in effect slightly less than US paper. So I am going to see what the local printer can do.

And in amongst all of this, I have written my talk for next Saturday but don't like it. It is not well focused. So I have posted a flashdrive to my sister who is the ideal audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.