Thursday 15 March 2012

New Bookcases

Last week the new bookcases were installed - black walnut and maple. They are very handsome. Probably more important is the fact that I have done a lot of rearranging of books and the Studio is well on the way to being much improved.  I have managed to collect up all the textile books and put them in the Studio bookcases while leaving myself enough shelf space there to stack yarn!! The stacking of yarn has not been done yet but you would be surprised at how much floor in the studio has suddenly become available for walking on!

The rest of the week has been spent warping up and threading the Megado. I should be finished this morning which will be nice as I must do some work for the Bournville class.  I started a Coptic book at the Bookbinding Class with the aim of reproducing what I had learnt at Lori Sauer's class and got the chain stitch done but totally failed on the headband! I do not understand my notes at all. I will have to see if I can follow the steps from the book I made at Lori Sauer's class. By the way I have signed up for another class with her but it is not till October.

The other thing I did this week was to attend a modern dance performance by the Richard Alston Dance Company in the Malvern Arena. The place was packed out - completely full. The audience was a real mixture from 16 year olds to 80 year olds. That is not the kind of audience you get at the theatre next door. I am no expert but I thought it was well done. There was a very odd moment when, instead of seeing people dance, I saw moving patterns.  It last several minutes and then was gone. Very peculiar. I am still thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.