Thursday 29 March 2012

Finished!!

I have finished all the items for the MTF Exhibition at St Martin's in the Bullring. This is one of the Mughal windows pieces where I painted the warp with Seka silk paints (they work). It represents the courtyard garden at Fatephur Sikri seen through one of the stone screens with their lovely geometric patterns. I woven enough for six pieces but have only made up three.




 This is one with a peacock silhouette

The other three pieces are pinned up in the studio and I will think about them for the next few weeks. I do feel that the woven pattern has receded into wall paper which is not what was intended.


I made up a panel on the design and making up of the cover for the book of Omar Khayyam.

I am delivering everything this afternoon. The original plan was to do this on the way to the Bourneville class tomorrow but the general feeling was that I was mad to try since I leave for Heathrow after lunch. The final blow to my plans came when I had to move leaving Malvern earlier so I gave up.


The other upset was that I went to shut and lock the cellar at lunchtime yesterday on my way out to Bookbinding to find that the cellar door had fallen off its top hinge!! So my bookbinding did not happen while I sought out my friendly neighbourhood builder who came round and replaced the hinges. So that's done.

I have done all the writing needed for St Martin's and printed it all out. Filled up with diesel since it would be nice to return to a full tank. I still have to think about packing. I shall be taking the laptop and hope to be able to blog while in Australia. I wonder how they organise comms on Heron Island. It will too far from the mainland for line of sight. Satcom?

1 comment:

  1. Have a lovely time in Australia. I'm particularly jealous about Heron Island - I've always wanted to visit but we never made it there. Dunk Island, yes; Heron Island, not yet. Safe trip!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.