Wednesday 7 April 2010

Coptic Book 2

I am having a rest from weaving and decided to stitch Coptic book No 2, This went better than the first one possibly because I used a curved needle throughout, possibly because I used the instructions in my new  book by Keith Smith from the USA. I used a silk thread in shades of gold/brown from Oliver Twists which is thicker and more prominent than the linen thread used last time. I am quite pleased with this one. The paper is cream cartridge paper and has been trimmed square at the three non-stitched edges. The protective part-sheet, round each signature, is handmade paper. It means the book will be very suitable for gluing pictures into

While sewing the binding, I had a GOOD IDEA. All Michael's small sample enamel plates (70 by 70 mm) have been incorporated in the weaving but there are another five plates which are 100 by 80 mm. I could use two of these as covers for a small Coptic book. When examined carefully, not all are flat but there are two good plates (artistically)  which are flat. First problem then is to drill the holes for the binding and, since enamel is glass, this means a diamond bit which has been ordered. (Very expensive) Michael warns me that a) the enamel may shatter when drilled and b) the copper will probably want drilling with a standard drill. Anyway I am not folding paper until we have the holes drilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.