Tuesday 12 January 2021

The Owl and the Pussycat

 Some months ago, I started out on a bookbinding project using The Owl and the PussyCat as the text. The idea was to make a concertina book with a verse on every page and an appropriate linocut on every page. But first I did one using photos, partly to see how it should be laid out. That was not quite okay so I did another one with different photos andtat looked as though it would work using that layout and photos. So the linocuts were of the cat, the owl(based on one of my grandson`s photos), the peagreen boat (North Norfolk photo), the bong tree (Boabab tree in Namibia), a gold ring, a spoon, a guitar. The spoon and the guitar on the first go were too small and I could not get the detail in. So I made those two three times bigger. Which is fine because all the lino cuts were integrated into the book in Photoshop. First one made was not okay because I printed on photocopy paper and used PVA to glue up. End results wrinkles everywhere. The next three were printed on 160gsm cartridge paper and glued up using a Pritt stick!! They look fine. The paper is a little thick for creasing and I think 130 gsm paper would be better but the 160  gsm stands up by itself with no need for a stiffening of the covers.

As you can see, this all took time. But the results are okay.




So that is that project completed and I have started on a reduction print. Never done one before and it could easily go very wrong.

And to cheer up the whole family Libby can stand up very securely if her Dad holds her hands. Not walking off yet. I have some photos but I do not feel I should include them here. Very cheering in this lockdown where I am very bored. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.