Friday 2 February 2018

Iceland Day 6

Not that anything is happening today as far as I am concerned. It has snowed over night and the wind is howling around the cabin, the birches are frantically waving and everyone has gone out (mad) but me. My  excuse is that I am tired from yesterday (true) and have to spend time processing the 706 photos I have taken here (also true). I cannot claim to have done the photos but I have sorted them out into folders. We are required to provide 5 photos this afternoon and I have processed my selection. There are some quite nice photos but I freely admit to finding lumps of lava unattractive even under snow. My favourite views are of vegetation. Although there are some real hits in the waterfall department.

However what I want to do in this blog is to list the clothes I go out in.

Starting at the bottom, ordinary underwear, then silk long johns and longsleeved vest, fleece trousers and waterproof trousers ( which are windproof too) on the bottom half. On the top half a long sleeved T shirt, a down jacket, a heavyweight anorak. Plus neck warmer pulled up at the back 0f the head so the hat overlaps it, thus keeping drafts and snow from the back of my neck. And a pair of fingerless gloves which a cap to cover them. The gloves are a real problem and everyone complains. How can you get at the camera controls without having fingers to operate things? One man has gloves which are fingerless only for the first finger and thumb. I inquired where he bought them and it turns out he thought up the idea himself and persuaded his sister to knit them out of cashmere. Any kind person out there prepared to do the same for me? To finish off on clothing and then there are Teko socks and furlined (imitation) Goretex boots. My feet are always warm, so are my legs. My body is warm until afternoon when my arms get cold. Next time I go out, I will add another thin sweater.  Everyone is kitted out in a slightly different combination but all are layered. As a result, the group looks like an ad for Michelin tyres.


Path through a birch forest.

Godafoss waterfall









 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.