Saturday 19 September 2015

More on Moving House

My belongings arrived on Tuesday and Wednesday and we have started throwing things out, three toast  racks and four butter dishes? Dorothy has given away a basket work sofa and two arm chairs which came from her conservatory. My studio is taking shape. My plans look like they will work. We had one styming moment yesterday. Our odd job man was to put up shelves in my office but that meant getting the Dobby loom out of there and into the studio which could not be done because there was a whole lot of bookbinding stuff in the studio which could not be moved into its final resting place because that was full of stuff for the office. We did it all eventually and the studio now contains an assembled Magic  Dobby and the office boasts lots of shelves. Though it has to be said that the Dobby loom is missing all its beams. No doubt they will surface.

The biggest problem is that these rooms are on the first floor and there are lots of boxes on the ground floor. I am now quite scared of trying to carry them up because I am frightened of ripping my hiatus hernia apart again. So I think I will look for help next week.

At the moment I am in Inverurie, north of Aberdeen. We flew up last night to visit my step grandson and his family. I have two step great grandchildren of whom I am very proud. Anyway Robert, my step grandson, is one of my favourite people and I have not seen him for too long.

We fly back late on Sunday night. 

One of the problems of unpacking the house until just before I left for the airport is that I have left behin more than I brought. No anorak, no heavy walking shoes, no camera, no thick woolly sweater. Oh well! It is a splendid hotel. Scottish baronial in architecture and service style. My son-in-law had lovely black pudding for breakfast, I know, I begged a bit. And I had finnan haddie, smoked haddock to you. It is all very restful.

And we now have a landline and fast broadband. Dorothy is having a whale of a time searching the web for useful things like dogsitters. By the way, for all you weavers, her daughter is visiting the house this weekend. Her daughter is Cally Booker.


1 comment:

  1. Ahem. We'll want photos at some point, okay? I know you're not completely settled in yet, but keep it in mind...

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.