Saturday 13 July 2013

Started on the Finishing

The last few days have been very hot but I have kept at it and woven 3.5 metres of fabric on a table loom. It has been washed and will be ironed and lined in the next day or two.


The above is a closeup.The warp is 60/2 silk in moss green from Webs. Fabic A is two throws of cream alpaca and one throw of an eyelash yarn from Linton Tweed. I got 1.5 meters of this before running out of the eyelash yarn. Fabric B is the same but with another (non-eyelash) yarn in place of the eyelash. Then I ran out of alpaca. So I substituted a hand spun yarn of about the same weight and a little darker - there is 1.25 meters of fabric C and 0.75 m of Fabric B. Fabric B is in case of emergencies when I make a jacket out of Fabric A next week. I already have 2 meters of it.

The silk lining (from Suzhou) has been washed as has the cotton tape. So Monday and Tuesday will be devoted to making a toile and lining everything. But now I am off gallivanting. As You Like It at Stratford tonight and Hampton Court Flower Show tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I'm exhausted just reading this, 3.5metres in this heat.31.5degrees centigrade in Brecon yesterday ! Hope you enjoyed the shows.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually with the windows open, it is nicer inside than outside in the sunshine. It is not often I say this but it is too hot for me to sit in the sun and I sit in the shade! The shows were great - but exhausting especially Hampton Court in ths heat. The marquees were stifling.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.