Thursday 18 July 2013

Computers and Other Neccessary Evils

I have finally sorted the computer mess in this house and can concentrate on a few things on my project list. Since I have given up on the old maasdesign internet address, the weaving website has also gone. I don't think anyone read it anyway. So I have created a new website and am slowly adding sections on specific topics. See the side panel for the website address. And note the changes to the blog layout!

The objective of the blog is to provide more permanent discourses on technical topics. I will resurrect the topics covered in the old website plus new ones, like the mulberry paper factory outside Samarkand and what I learnt about weaving in Central Asia. There are a few sections completed.I takes me about eight hours to do one new section and I should have the website up to date by mid August.

Yesterday I have my grand daughter, Madi, here and she gave me a hand to sort through teh yarn stash. I have been very ruthless and am taking two sacks of yarn up to Cally Booker next week. What she does not want can go to the Silent Auction at the Association Summer School.

I have selected the yarns I am going to use for my course (Laura Thomas, Breaking the Rules'). It is a bamboo/cotton mix 30/70 and I have three not-going-together colours, chocolate, dark pink and light green. I don't see me using them under normal circumstances.

Last night I made the toile for my jacket course which starts tomorrow. I started at 8 pm and finished at 11 pm! Today we are off to Art in Action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.