Wednesday 23 May 2012

The 'Studio'

The Megado in its new position with the new windows behind. The window seat and curtains have yet to be installed. You can see the trees outside better in the photo below.
Through the trees and over the house below, the Vale of Evesham is very obvious. A bonus as I had not realised that it would be visible. The Vale of Evesham is 'my' part of the Severn Valley and is very rich land. It is said that the top soil is 20 foot deep. Anyway the crops are apples, pears, plums and asparagus. Freshly cut asparagus is nothing like supermarket stuff. I could happily live on it. Plums are a real speciality round here as you can tell from the names Pershore Egg, Pershore Yellow and so on. The locals have no time for Victorias but argue about the relative merits of Marjorie Seedling against Orleans Early. I can't see the point in arguing myself because Orleans Early is very early and Marjorie Seedlings are very late so you can gorge on both. 

The other fruit that is popular is Worcester Pearmain which is a very early (end of August) apple. The trouble is that it needs to be eaten within 24 hours of picking. What appears in supermarkets is woolly instead of crisp. The local greengrocer puts  a notice out saying 'Picked this morning'.
 
I have been using the studio to do a bit of bookbinding and the new lights work well. No photos as they are not finished but will be tonight. Off to do more bookbinding in the studio and tidy up.
 

3 comments:

  1. The house is such in a beautiful place...I really like it.

    Roman shades concord, ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of light! Fantastic. I think one should aim to eat as many plums as possible of every variety offered. The season is too short to waste arguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely new studio. A "green" view is icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.