Thursday 25 April 2019

Winding warps, Taking photos

The sunshine has gone but I have the garden in order. I need to check the greenhouse every day and add water in needed. The sweet peas have germinated as has the coleus. And the garden is positively bursting at the edges - as are the local woods. This photo was taken by The Kennet and Avon Canal this morning.


Jerry being photogenic by the canal.  Note the natty red harness. He goes crazy when he sees it in my hand. He knows that means we are going out.

I have been doing a lot of photography lately and thinking. I have decided that I am being too perfectionist. I have been reading a lot of books by high class photographers and comparing my photos with theirs to my disadvantage. And I suddenly realised that, of course, I do not compare with them. That is why I pay such a lot for their books. So I am cheered up. And I am off to North Norfolk next week  to spend several days photographing everything. It is not a course, that is, it is  a painting course for Dorothy and I am just a hanger-on. So expect photos of breaking waves. 

Apart from that, I suddenly realised that I might have made a serious error in the current winding a new warp. I forgot to check on the number of heddles. And yes I was right to be worried. There are not enough heddles on Shafts 5 and 6. Some hard thinking.  First thing to do to find out how many heddles I had on The Schacht. The answer is 150 on 1 and 2 and 100 on everything else. A re-arrangement  of the repeats and the draft and everything was okay.  And I have wound the first warp. I am splitting the warp into two because there are a lot of threads. I should be finished tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.