Friday 18 August 2017

London

I spent yesterday in London. First I visited the Balenciaga exhibition at the Victoria and Albert. Really good and most of the exhibits were from the V and A's own collection! What they are doing with 30  or 40 Balenciaga outfits I cannot work out but there it is. Very tailored and very attractive. I was surprised to recognise what must be the original of a hat I loved when I was 20. A skull cap fitting close to the head and made of maroon feathers. The original was of emerald green feathers. There was also a frock of which I had an 'inspired by' street version. And I remember buying a Vogue pattern and making what was definitely a constructed dress with a very odd ballooning skirt held up by tapes to the waist.

I also visited Watersons and investigated the books on photography. I was very good, I did not buy a single book. Then it was off to dinner with an old (working) friend - at The Athenaeum. Magnificent inside. They have a double staircase and upstairs where one takes coffee, there is an enormous room with a carpet woven to fit. And the food was first rate. Well any place that serves potted shrimps gets an A* from me. I was a bit worried that this was a men only place and women were on sufferance but No. They allowed women members in more than 20 years ago. And I saw a few. The ones I saw looked like they could rule the world and still have time over for some knitting and gossip.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.