Monday 8 February 2016

A Warp and Two Books

I managed to warp up the guild 12 shaft with a Biederwand pattern and deliver it on Saturday at the Guild meeting. Yesterday and today, I repaired two books, one for me and one for my sister.

 The above is my siste5r's, The Favorite Wonder book. It is inscribed with the date 10/8/48 by my father. So it was a birthday present to her. It is full of stories, like Baron Munchausen. The spine had come off completely but the textblock and the covers were in a good state. Now back to together again.

The above was bought by me recently. It is called the Loom Book and is 1930s with loads of drafts. Clearly aimed at handweavers who had a treadle loom. But it was falling apart and the textblock wanted attention. New endpapers which are a copy of some 1930s paper. Rather nice all round.

We currently have a workman in to do odd jobs. The valets have been securely installed in the studio ceiling and now I can warp up the Louet Kombo w3ith the fan reed. But not till Wednesday. Tomorrow I give a lecture on the Silk Route Textiles to another Guild. There has been much searching for photos and even more searching for bits of fabric. 'I am sure I would not have given that away' and I had not, just put it somewhere very safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.