Wednesday 22 April 2015

Back Home

I returned home on Monday, having stayed Sunday night with my daughter, Ruth. Since returning, life has been full of doing things towards moving house, like answering lawyer's letters and looking for documents, organising service engineers etc.
 
I had a massive throw out of out-of-date paperwork as well.
 
I did spend a couple of hours last night sorting out a lampas warp for the 12 shaft Meyer and writing up details of what I want to do. Kennet Valley Guild has been troubled by its own success. It has always been the custom at Guild meetings to have a 'Weaver's Chat' where everyone says what they have been doing and shows their latest weavings. When there 6 or 8 of us, this would last less than an hour. Now there are about 20, it takes a long time and I, as Chairman, do not feel I can stay present all the time and neglect the rest of the Guild. So we are going to try having a whole (separate) morning to which people can bring looms. That is happening for the first time this Saturday and I would like to get ahead with the Lampas. So wind warp today and put it on Saturday.  Tomorrow and Friday are a write-off - I am due for Redditch hospital for the day and will need a day to recover from the anaesthetic.
 
Going back to the Lampas, you get more blocks out of a 12 shaft loom and the first, which is actually 1:4 Beiderwand is shown below.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.