I am in 'Finishing-Projects' mood at the moment. I finished off a batik shirt of Michael's which I remade for me. A problem about buttons. In the end I removed the originals, made button holes on the female side and added some Dixie Nichols buttons and put on ribbon as a collar. I have a 'Ribbon Stash' and I know that this length of ribbon with waterlilies was bought near Gawthorpe Hall in a Lancashire market 30 years ago. I knew it would come in handy one day. Michael knew it was useless trying to get me past a ribbon shop in Europe. There is a fabulous one in Strasbourg in Petit France and another in Amsterdam on the way to the RijksMuseum.
I am going to a natural dying day in Birmingham today and am taking the rest of the indigo vat from the Newbury Coat. I assembled everything yesterday and should just have to pack the car. I have wound a warp of 2/16 cotton and tied it up for Ikat. Some of it looks okay but some may have gone wrong. This piece is intended to get me back into weaving ikat and I have already remembered a lot. It is more than five years since I last did any. Then I tried warp and weft ikat and it was all horribly wrong. I reckon I now know what went wrong and am starting up again. I deliberately chose 2/16 cotton. Last time I was working in 90/2 silk. and a width of 24 inches. The current piece is 12 inches wide. Let me get the technique right first and and then I will try fine silk again. The current piece is intended to be for warp only and then warp plus weft. So I will have to dye some more yarn for the weft later.