Friday 27 January 2012

Finished with the 12 shaft Loom!!

I have finished all the samples on the 12 shaft loom - all 12 of them with the first sample being repeated in 2/6 cotton, doubled 2/6 cotton and doubled 2/10 cotton. The last looks best but the pattern is too unbalanced. As it is, I could have done with resleying at 8 to the inch (but I have had enough of this project!!). 

Some of the drafts are very attractive - the ones at the top which are versions of Mughal windows at Fatepur Sikri. I have written everything up with 13 liftplans and printed out 9 copies. Everything is parcelled up ready to take to the weaving class tomorrow.

This includes a large Dryad 4-shaft table loom which I have 'acquired'. I am hoping one of the beginners will greet it with cries of joy.
















This is the draft which escaped. After I had cut off the samples and re-tied the warp, I found that I had not woven one of the samples. Which was a pity because I fancy this one.

After I have completed te ecurrent Megado project, I will be warping up DPW on 32 shafts to do several different pieces. They are not yet designed but I was wondering; if the Mughal windows work on 12 shafts, could I do a double cloth with a DPW on each face? They could have the same warp threading but different treadlings. 



Last night at 11 pm, I looked out things for today's Bourneville class  on the theme of 'Word and Image' and ended up by creating a piece in Photoshop and printing it on Organza. It came out rather pale and I took it to the class with me slightly resentful but suggestions were made. I came home and added a sheet of wadding and a backing sheet and quilted it. Now I am happier. At least this project only took a few hours - four at most!! Unlike some 12 shaft projects I could mention. I think I will carry out a few quick projects next and start on the Megado next week. I have my grand-daughter coming to stay for the weekend. That does mean I have to cook meals!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.