Monday 23 January 2012

Indigo Dyeing

Yesterday three friends came round and we had a wonderful time with an Indigo Vat. It was half of one 5-gallon container left over from the Newbury Coat. I realised that they might be bringing a lot to wrok on so I did my own before they turned up! about 800 gms of wool and 500 gms of silk. The various shades of blue are deliberate. I was dyeing some yarn for other weavers and the colours had been specified. They were only allowed light, mid and dark.
The matching of pairs of skeins worked out well by using a clock to time to the nearest 5 seconds! The skeins are shown after being allowed to dry, then washed in Woolite then rinsed with a little vinegar in the last rinse.








The photo on the left is of silk trimmings indigo dyed. They are patchy because (I think), these have not had the sericin washed out. It is intended for making silk paper so the patchiness is not a problem.

The others brought wool yarn and several pieces of cotton and silk fabric  in shibori. Rosie Price bought brought 16 (?) balls of white boucle cotton (commercial). So we tried dyeing one ball without skeining it. It worked although she had to skein it when wet to see what it was like all the way through!! Anyway we then dyed all the rest  in balls. I should have taken a photo to show how much we all did. I had to refresh the vat a couple of times but it all worked okay.

I still have an ikat warp to indigo dye but I could not do it yesterday as it has not been designed, never mind wound and tied up. I am having another indigo day next week and winding the ikat warp is high on the priority list for this week. As is weaving samples on the 12 shaft loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.