Wednesday 11 January 2012

Stirling and Textiles

Last week at the Museum in Stirling, there were some Trades banners hung up. I returned plus camera to photo them yesterday only to find that they had been put into storage. The curator managed to find photos of them which she emailed to me. This one is part of the Wool Trades banner. A pity it is only a part but better than nothing. The banners were made by Glasgow School of Art in the 1970s.












Here is part of the Weaving Trades banner. I like the treadles!!





















We went round Stitrling Castle which I had got very wrong. I had assumed it would be like Goodrich Castle (near Malvern in Wales) - all ruins and bare walls inside. Not a bit of it. They have restored to a specific day in June 1546 which is four years after James V death's when Mary was Queen. I was told that Mary had played football in the Queen's Chamber. The photo is of one section of the ceiling in the King's Inner Hall where all the important meetings took place. There are 32 of these heads. What is interesting is that they have 30 of the originals left. Very carefully preserved now in a special museum. The ones installed in the ceiling are all copies. The Museum is well worthwhile.

There are lots of people about - dressed in clothes of that period. The decoration is very rich. In particular, five of the seven tapestries 'The Hunt of the Unicorn' are up. These were woven partly at Stirling but mostly at West Dean College. 



This is one face of the palace - still defensive even if very gorgeous inside!! The white van is just too bad!!













Before Christmas at Bournville, we were into 'Deconstruct, Reconstruct'. So This is my offering. I found I had several Liberty lawn ties (Michael's) which I have turned into a waistcoat. The lining is also old - a skirt about 15 years old from my sister, Dorothy. It is made from a pattern I have used twice before and fits nicely.This has all been done here in Dundee between warping up the 12 shaft loom.

I have also mounted a picture of jellyfish.



I brought with me some 'illuminating Acid Dye' which has been tried out - see photo on left. Because it is acid dye, I got a piece of already dyed silk and cotton from Dorothy. The squiggle has been screen printed in yellow illuminating dye. I made up a mixture of acid dye solution and disperse paste. So the pattern is bleached of colour and then replaced with yellow. I tried a purple as well but, while all the yellow worked, none of the purple worked well.  When the fabric was dried completely, it had to be ironed on a hot setting and then washed.

I am off to do some more with teh illuminating dye and also some batik.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.