Sunday 11 May 2014

Selceda to Lavacolla

I did 10 miles today. It was a lovely day walking through forest although it was hilly. But my left hip decided to be painful. However we saw several things of interest.

Sign in a cafe. Most cafés are forbearing about pilgrims taking their shoes and socks. This one is the only one which does not allow it inside the cafe. Can you imagine a cafe in England in the countryside letting you take you shoes and socks off as soon as you arrive?

This is us at the monument overlooking Santiago.

And this is what we were looking at. The towers of the Cathedral of Santiago. We are staying at a pazo which is a fortified ancient house. This one has a chapel, a water mill and a man who

will fetch beer or tea or anything else.

Our bedroom. We are all washed and clean and going off to our final dinner tonight. Tomorrow is our last day. We only have 7.5 km to walk and we must be in Santiago in time for noon for Mass.

Have I thought great thoughts? No but I have thought some little ones.

1) the plans for the Grand Canyon were too ambitious. Written off

2) I always fancied walking the Appalachian Trail. After talking to someone who has done it, written off

3) Walking Hadrian's Wall. Is doable. Plans are being made for 2015.

4) ditch some responsibilities. Not saying which because it will upset some people. Not Kennet Valley Guild.

5) spend less time galloping round the world and more time in the garden.

6) deliver grandfather clock to Ruth and Robin (next week!)

7) get rid of Monstrous Victorian bureau which belongs to my grandson Tom. It will never go in a modern house so I am to sell it for him.

8) get rid of a lot of unused China hanging round the house

That will do for now. No very spiritual but the house will end up cleansed!! Even if I am not. I suppose the biggest surprise/disappointment was that there were so few of the12th century churches and chapels open. I had imagined there would be lots of them but there were only three in108km.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.