Saturday 31 May 2014

Heathrow to Pittsburg

It has been a long day. I left Ruth's house at 0730 for Terminal 5,Heathrow, left Terminal 5 at 0955, ate pasta with pesto for lunch (the option was chicken), slept as much as I could, arrived New York at midday which was five o'clock UK time. Caught a plane to Pittsburg at 1500 hours and am now in a hotel in the centre of Pittsburg. I am trying to decide whether it will be a terrible mistake to lie down because I am supposed to have dinner with everyone at 0730. I think I had better try staying vertical.

View out of bus window going into Pittsburg

 

View out of my bedroom window.

There are 22 people on this tour of whom six were on the flight out of Heathrow, 3 joined us at New York and more were waiting for us at Pittsburg Airport. But not all.

The country side near Pittsburg is very hilly and forested. Very few houses and not much farmed land. This excess of land is obvious at Pittsburg airport. I counted seven planes and it is built for 20 to 30. The distances are vast which means a lot of walking. There is even an underground which was empty. In fact the whole place was empty. It is as though no one has come to their party.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you'll have beautiful weather. Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.