Monday 5 May 2014

Madrid Sunday

Sunday was spent travelling. Up at 5, drive to Stansted (no one on the M25 at that time), queue to get rid of luggage, queue to get on plane, two and a half hour flight, then wait for luggage, wait for taxi. So at 1400 hours we arrive at hotel only to find that, though I had paid, the hotel knew nothing about us. Fortunately my iPad held all the emails. Five minutes to find sandals and Tshirt, then out into a hot Madrid afternoon.

We visited the Thyssen museum to see the impressionists and 20th century works. A very odd collection. There are masses of impressionist painting but not by people whose names I recognise and, more important not all that good. The Thyssen collection is just a small part of the museum's holdings and the main museum has a wonderful collection of 20th century art. There are two Sonya Delaunays but also two Robert Delaunays who I have never seen before. Very similar in style to his wife.

Robert Delaunay

Kandinsky

Then we visited the Royal Arboretum next door. Laid out in squares each edged with box and thoroughly labelled. A nice section on fruit with citrus trees carrying fruit and flowers, masses of irises blooming as an edging by the paths

In the evening we ate at a pavement cafe- tapas, what else. Back to hotel and I was fast asleep by ten! Today we are visiting the Prado and a nearby park and the shopping centre.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.