Wednesday 3 July 2013

Very nervous

Over the last few days, I have been considering the change over to a laptop for the Megado. I bought the recommended cable (serial to USB) and installed it. Then what? Neither the laptop nor  Fibreworks had anything to say to me about this. I consulted with the source in Canada and it was pointed out that I needed a driver for the cable (well, there's a thing). So I got up early this morning, downloaded a driver and the manual, read the manual, took a deep breathe and got on with following the instructions. 30 minutes later, I was weaving on the Megado. (Still in a red woolly dressing gown I'll have you know).

The old computer has been dismantled and taken to the tip along with the monitor and the extra Microsoft machine which was hiccuping gently into oblivion, (meaning sometimes it was conscious and sometimes it wasn't). So I am down from 17 computers two years ago to one plus a laptop. I still have to go round removing unwanted routers from the house. I will not remove all the cabling. The next owner of this house can have that pleasure.

So there I am. I did not expect it to be easy to move from a Linux system with many computers to only one Microsoft computer but I have done it.

I was thinking about signing on for the Wednesday bookbinding class this afternoon but, by chance, I talked to the tutor this morning and Wednesdays are going to be 'Art' books while a new one on Tuesdays will concentrate on conservation and repair. I have decided I will go to the conservation and repair class as I want to work on leather. I have always been chary of this as it seems difficult but I would really like to bind books in leather.

1 comment:

  1. From 17 to 2: nice way to downsize! It'll be a much easier task to maintain the smaller network.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.