Monday 29 July 2013

Finished on Meyer Loom


I have finished weaving the four colour double weave on the Meyer loom. The warp colours are sky blue and apricot and the weft colours are mostly maroon and brown silk noil. The stripe on the right hand side which is paler was woven with a fine green wool and the brown silk noil. I thought this would work well but it didn't. That is the fact that everyone has been astonished at - you cannot tell what will work and what will not without weaving a sample. There was not as much warp left as I thought but I do have a piece at home and will see if I can amalgamate these into a useful object. 

Cally Booker was round here on Saturday and took away the two sacks of yarn I brought up for her. She is into teaching weaving and a variety of yarn is a good thing for students. I have enough wool, cotton, silk and linen yarn to see me through for the next twenty years. 

What I also have is some new ideas. Dorothy has a large collection of design books which I have been dipping into. I have not done much design for several months and now have a few ideas which I must write down. For example, what would it look like if you warped up a four colour double weave in black and white and used black and white in the weft as well.

And could I paint the existing sage green warp on the Megado? I need to weave off another metre or two before I try that out. But I have enough warp to try a half metre sample. Off to do some writing up. By the way, I am still in Dundee.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.