Saturday 27 July 2013

Dundee

In which my sister is an expert.I finished making the sleeves of the Chanel jacket on Wednesday and decided it would be a good idea to collect my 12 shaft from south of Swindon. The reason is that I could take this with me to the Summer School. 

 I found myself involved in a major snarl up of traffic at Swindon. There had been a major accident on the motorway at 4am and they just shut the motorway until midday leaving a great deal of traffic stuck and including me. So it took forever to get home which ruined the rest of the day. I decided not to take the jacket with me to complete but take the 12 shaft plus, of course, lots of yarn to choose from. There   is a lot of warp still on the loom and it is four colour double weave and I cannot bear to cut it off and throw it away.

Friday was weird because of Thursday. Up at 5 am, put on washing, loaded mixture for black currant ice cream into the icecream maker, looked for yarn, found three lengths of white silk velvet (more on that below), packed case for six days in Dundee, packed car including two large sacks of yarn for Cally Booker. Then hung up washing, unloaded the ice cream into cartons and put in freezer, washed up and set about the last job - planting my seedling aubergines in four Grobags and watering all the pot plants. I left the house for Dundee at 0710 am and arrived there at 1345. Then fell asleep in the sitting room!!

The white velvet was brought here to be dyed using Procion MX in which my sister is an expert. So three lengths so between 1 and 2 metres each have been dyed. The bigger two are shown below.




This is all because I have a lovely length of grey velvet with an Art Deco design in black and gold printed and my jacket tutor advised me to make up a jacket in cheap velvet before trying on that. I just happen to have three remnants of white velvet bought cheap at Beckford silk mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.