Thursday 1 July 2010

White Silk Jacket

The white silk jacket is finished - at last. The silk was woven just over four years ago!!. Every square inch has a fused lining and every seam is turned in! The hem at the bottom is finished with one inch bias binding. The ribbon  on the front looks fine. I considered putting some round the edge of the sleeves but decided against.  













The pattern is a twill variant on 32 shafts. This is a scan. The warp and weft were 90/2 white silk from Uppinghams. You can sort of see the pattern but the draft shows it up better.











This was the draft used. It looks as though I developed it from something else but I have no record of what. What I can see from my records is that there were a number of trials of which this was the last.

I have several yards of the fabric left and just as much ribbon as is on the jacket, so I think a waistcoat may be called for.








 My sister is here this week and we had a good time dyeing with Procion MX this morning. I intend to use my pieces of fabric to cover books with. I intend a lot of book binding before October when the class restarts. Two of my books have gone into the College Exhibition, Alice in Wonderland and the small Coptic book with enamels on sycamore as covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.