Thursday 15 July 2010

New Fuschia

This wall is six foot high and has gooseberries and blackcurrants trained against it. There is a large golden bamboo in front of it which means what grows on top of the wall cannot be seen very well unless you go behind the bamboo. I went to pick some soft fruit this afternoon and discovered a large new fuschia!!! The red and purple one you can see on the right is a seedling which appeared a few years ago and was so nice, I just left it alone.







The one on the left is a new seedling only just appeared. The flowers are white outside and purple inside, clear cut and attractive. 

We collected a lot of soft fruit and a friend took away the black currants but there are lots to come. I think I may have to make some more jam with the goose-berries

The threading on the Megado is complete and half the sleying is done. Tomorrow will see ti completed and tied on.

I am already thinking of the next project which will be bookbinding. I need to paste some fabric to paper before I start on the Japanese sample books. So a major session with wheat starch paste will take place this week. I have had trouble finding suitable paper and have settled for 50gsm bank in a pad of A2. This was delivered yesterday. I also have ideas about a printed book like John Agar's Rainbow full of haiku and drawings/paintings/photos of morning glories. I was not happy about the printing of Rainbow and will start by setting up a better template in Framemaker and printing one copy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.