Thursday 29 July 2010

Painted Sheep (otherwise SheepScape)

Today was a great day - a new chapter. I rented a van from Malvern Community Action which is fitted out to take a wheelchair and I took Michael to Nature in Art. just north of Gloucester. They are having a Sheepscape. A lot of fibre glass sheep have been made and lots of different groups have decorated them. They are all over the garden. Here are a few. Me, I like the wings and pale pink tutu.


We looked round the galleries and the garden with the sheep and then visited the Artist In Residence, Sylvia Sutton, who is a botanical illustrator. Lots of lovely things on show including a number of vegetable drawings called the Allotment series. You don't think of
kohl-rabi and carrots or rhubarb as being worthy of an artist's attention but they are with Sylvia Sutton!!


Then tea and buns and a drive home. When I asked Michael if he wanted to do a similar expedition next week, he said yes immediately. But he did fall asleep as soon as he was back in bed!!

I have removed the weaving from the Megado and tidied up the loom and its surroundings. I need to finish the fabric and look at it carefully. I will scan in the different designs as I am finding the camera is not showing the colours well.

The next thing on the Megado is a long length of Tencel to make curtains from two sorts of spaced dyed yarn from Just Our Yarns and some pink self-coloured Tencel dyed by me. But it is all in skein form. I need it on cardboard bobbins. And I have none. I had a huge clear up in order to get back some shuttle bobbins. I will swear I have bought 30 such bobbins in the last few years. Why is it that when I want 5 or 6 I never have any? Because I can't bear to discard the remnants of yarn on these bobbins after finishing a piece. Okay then, I faced up to it and wound lots of shuttle bobbins off on to cardboard tubes - leaving me with lots of empty shuttle bobbins and one cardboard one. So I rang up Texere and asked if they had any spares for sale. 20 will arrive shortly and I can wind off all the Tencel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.