Wednesday 7 July 2010

More Opera

I recovered from Cosi Fan Tutte by Monday but had real work to do (the sort that results in a cheque for me). Then Tuesday I went to Birmingham Hippodrome to see Bryn Terfel in The MasterSinger. Left home at 1400 and got back at 2300 having sat through 6 hours of music. Bryn Terfel was first rate as was the Eva (Amanda Roocroft) and the Beckmesser (Christopher Purves - last seen as a first rate Falstaff). My only complaint was that the producers had not made their minds up what century the opera was in. So the Mastersingers in Act 1 arrived in frock coats but the burghers in Act 3 turned up in 15th century stuff, wimples, high foreheads, brocade gowns (men and women). Oh and there were electrical light fittings in the cobblers shop as well as modern bound books on his book shelves.

And to finish off this five days, I am going back to Birmingham tonight to see Rigoletto with Simon Keenlyside. I am alarmed by the fact that it is set in a 1960s White House.  

By the way, this is Welsh National Opera's week at Birmingham and the tickets, like the Glyndebourne ones, were all bought well before Christmas. I cancelled a lot of things when it was clear Michael would not be going anywhere like that but I could not bring myself to get rid of these tickets so I took a Malvern friend.

So no textile work but I did have a good idea. I need to design the leaves for the devore project so I collected leaves from the garden and scanned them in. Then I created a 'scarf' in Photoshop, added the leaves and moved them about. I got something acceptable but thought about it and had a better idea. I have printed out the leaves in three different sizes and will cut them out. I will cut a length of cartridge paper from my roll to match the scarf and physically shuffle the paper leaves about. I will get there in the end.

I have parcelled up the Convergence yardage (masses of odd jobs to do, sew on label, fill up this form, write packing instructions for return) but discovered I need permission from HGA to send. WHY!!! Anyway I have asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.