Sunday 16 March 2014

Ghost Warps

Sandra Rude's latest blog talks about the use of a single black warp which is very long and changing the treadling and colour of the weft. My last warp lasted through a lot of projects. The next three projects can be grouped together too. I have to weave two blankets from handspun and then a length of fabric from handspun. But if I put on a ghost warp in white cotton with a straight draw on 32 shafts, then I can check the threading and use it to weave a folded double cloth to get six foot wide blankets. I do not think it matters if the fabric is 72 inches wide rather than 36 inches. So I can start winding the ghost warp, now that I have decided what to do.

Today, I started on the second African tree. I have got past the sandy foreground and am about to do the background trees. So I have painted the warp green. Of course I had no actual green so mixed some. It looked fine in the pot but looks too blue on the warp. The weft will be dark green so I am hoping it will be okay. Now waiting for the paint to dry. This means returning to the table loom every ten minutes and wiggling all the shafts to make sure adjacent threads do not stick to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.