Tuesday, 18 March 2014
Another African Tree
I have been continuing with book repairs and spent this morning on the Victorian encyclopaedia's library binding. In between, while waiting for the PVA to dry, I completed a small repair job for me.
- strip off the covers and, if they can be re-used, trim the ragged edges and lay aside.
- scrape down the spine. Sand it if needed, Cut four saw-cuts across the spine, spacing them evenly. The cuts must be deep enough to hold two thicknesses of stout linen thread
- take a length of the linen thread and do figure-of-eights in and out of the saw cuts. This is all done with the textblock clamped in a press.
- Paste the spine with PVA, then apply scrim to the whole of the spine and one inch on either side. Paste two layers of kraft paper on top of that and, when dry, you have a textblock ready to be cased in.
- I added some nice marbled paper as endpapers and did the covers in green book cloth. When it was all done, I added the original front and back and spine covers. And there you are. Good for another 60 years.
- ► 2016 (114)
- ► 2015 (117)
- ▼ March (8)
- ► 2013 (182)
- ► 2012 (138)
- ► 2011 (172)
- ► 2010 (247)
- I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.