Friday 31 August 2012

DWP off the Megado

I took the Diversified Plain Weave off the Megado this morning and this is inspection time. For Rosie Price's sheep, I have added a piece of ribbon with flowers on it below and a piece of space dyed cotton above and mounted the whole on pelmet vilene, thend sewed on ribbon at each end so that the edges can be pulled in to form a circle and it can stand up by itself. But it can equally well be mounted flat.  The sheep were woven in heather-coloured chenille and have blue sequins for eyes.





At the bottom are a whole lot of candles. I shall paint over all the flames with gold paint. I might put on one very large candle in the centre. At the top is the tail end of a piece of fabric which is sort-of Art Deco. Quite pleasing. These are deemed a success. The candles are intended for an exhibition in West Bromwich.

















This is another sort of Art Deco piece and I like this too.














This had  a painted warp to simulate the sky at night and the pattern in red lurex is lost.
The Catherine wheels in silver lurex at the bottom have worked and show up well (better than in the photo) but the rockets do not show up well even when you are close to the piece. I suppose this is saying that a dark pattern against a pale background is best. This was intended for an exhibition on 'Festivals and Celebration' in West Bromwich but, unless I can come up with some way of rescuing this piece, it is not going to be submitted. 

The Megado has been tidied up but I still have not decided what to weave next. I do have an ikat warp ready for the Voyager. Unless I work myself up to the donsu, it will be the ikat. On the other hand I do have some unfinished Coptic books.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.