Tuesday 7 August 2012

Brighton is the Pattern Capital of the World


Not to mention containing the oddest shop window decoration. Last time I was in Brighton, this cafe sported a knitted model of the Brighton Pavilion. This time it was a working (that is, rotating) model of the Brighton Wheel. It does a good line in made-on-the-premises cake.

From which  you can gather that I am in Brighton. My eldest daughter and I went to Glyndebourne last night to see a Ravel double bill. I have always loved L'Enfant et Les Sortileges but it is not performed often. The trouble is you need two singing armchairs, a randy (singing) teapot, a singing cup-and -saucer and a princess, lots of shepherds and shepherdesses and a full choir of birds. Anyway it was beautifully done at Glyndebourne.




In the afternoon, we went shopping. There is an interesting shop, 'Get Cutie', which sells dresses and skirts made from wildly patterned cotton. If they don't have your size, you can have it made from the fabric of your choice at an extra cost. I was so taken with the fabric that I persuaded them to sell me some to cover books with - see photo. Some of the patterns are very way out. Cowgirls 8 inches high singing with a guitar. Cowboys on bucking horses, Peacocks of enormous size. And people walk round Brighton wearing these!! No lifesize chickens though.

I came home by way of Ann Sutton's where she is selling off the contents of her studio. I have lots of cotton yarn , a few things like reeds and a whole lot of books including two which are full of samples of Japanese cloth.

I spent Saturday at Ruth's (previously of Kuala Lumpur) house in Sunningdale. Noted for my son-in-law's comment that I seemed to have recovered from my 'existentialist crisis' I was indignant about this for all of 5 seconds and then thought it was funny. I would not rated my worries about I should be doing in such grand language.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.