Monday 13 August 2012

Creative Development Course

Yesterday I had a long talk with Samantha Dadd, the tutor. The day before she had asked us all the questions, which artists do you admire? Which would you like to emulate? I think the answer is likely to be two different names and they will be different day to day. However I have realised that, like the textile problems of recent months, I do not want to create art ' to hang on the wall'. I had not realised this previously. It is the reason why I don't get on with  How to Art books - because the writer has his/her idea of what the end result ought to be. What I want to do is to be to draw/paint well enough to put sketches in my Day Book or in my travel journal. That's all.

So after painting a view of a row of poplars from Sam's back garden, I did the same view in watercolour pencil - rather nicer. On Sunday morning, I brought in a book of sketches of Singapore which my idea of what I wanted to do. This book is by Lorette Roberts and is first rate. I then practised drawing and painting bamboo fences, all taken from my photos of Japanese. These looked good so I took the best one and drew other sketches round it.   See photo below. This was completed by the end of Sunday. I went home and looked out my travel book for the Japanese trip which I had never completed. Lots of photos and bits of paper to stick in. The evening  was spent printing out suitable photos. Today (the course is three days)  I sorted out the Travel Book and drew coloured sketches where I could. There are a lot of photos oo but give me time. I will do better next time. And I am unreasonably pleased with myself. The sketches are not wonderful but the whole effect is what I am after. As I say, I will do better next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.