Sunday 13 March 2011

Tidying Up

I fell in love with caladiums at Convergence 2008 in Tampa Bay. The city fathers use them as bedding plants!!  Last year I created a concertina book where one side contains photos of caladium leaves placed on top of photos of Tampa Bay. The top part of the leaves has been cut away. The other side is views of Tampa  (all photos taken by me).

The book made in 2010 was given to my sister, Dorothy, who was also at Tampa Bay.




I have always intended to make another one for me and have now done so. I revamped some of the wording and re-ordered the pages and will now enter it for the exhibition 'Unquiet Words' here in Malvern.







I got round to mounting this piece. It will be in a class exhibition in June and I thought I needed to tidy up some pieces. I do not intend to glass and frame it. I still do not regard it as a good piece.
















On the other hand, I do like this, done last Friday. I have interlined it and lined it and put a sleeve on and it is all ready to hang. At one stage, there was panic as I realised that eating chocolate biscuits and simultaneously hand-sewing on a white fabric were not compatible. I remember my mother always washing her hands and powdering  with talcum powder before starting out to knit. Maybe something in that. Anyway the smudge was washed out very carefully.


I ought to be starting to weave on the Megado. I have got as far as switching the power on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.