Friday 11 March 2011

A Change of Plan

The haori has a sort of Art Deco feel (I hope). There are layers of applied fabric in brown and yellow poplin and this pattern of circles applied using JetFX paper. The haori is sewn together to form a flat sheet and I applied these circles to front and back yesterday.  Today I intended to decide what to do about the sleeves at the Bourneville class.

Instead Annette Lucas, the tutor, sidetracked everybody by showing us some work she had done during the week. This was based on using a mask on a photo, selecting what you liked best and tracing it onto cloth, then painting it.  I have read about this but never done it. Like the rest of the class, I was bowled over. There was total silence in the class except for the occasional 'Anyone seen the dark blue?'


This was mine, traced on three times. After colouring in (definitely paint-by-numbers), I brought it home and spent the rest of the afternoon machine stitching over it.  It was taken from a photo of pebbles on a beach. 

You can see that the mask is not rectangular but has one curved edge. Annette supplied a huge number of masks, some of them quite complex curves. The results from these were wonderful - mind you - the class as a whole is quite adventurous.  So there we are. One happy day. I will probably frame this. And I will use the method again. 

We have an extra treat at the class. Annette has arranged for us to have a Study Day at Birmingham Botanical Gardens in early May. It is intended that we use the day as a basis for new projects. Actually I am running out of ideas of what to with caladium leaves! And my latest design of tied weave is a twining pattern over the whole cloth. However the Megado is calling and I must go and see if all my preparations for this warp have worked.


Kerstin of Spinnhuset  has described a really amazing way of weaving a Mobius strip scarf. Have a look.

1 comment:

  1. Yes - but remember I only figured out "another way" of doing it - inspired by kendrick43 on Weavolution!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.