Tuesday 8 March 2011

Penguins

This teatowel says on it

Pinguiones del mar Argentino-Antartida
Tierra del Fuego USHAIA Patagonia Argentina

USHAIA is 'The End of the Earth'

A friend has just been on a seven week cruise round South America and brought this back. The printing is very plasticised and it is not very functional as a tea towel but, never mind, I think it's great and it is pinned up in the corridor for all to see.

I have finished tying on the multicoloured warp and started winding it on but stopped to have another go at making 'In the Event'.  This time it worked! The Bockingford will stand up by itself but can't be accurately folded and Fabriano Academia  can be folded but can't stand up by itself. So what to do? The original artwork is two A5 pages printed on a landscape A4. I printed out out these A4 pages on Bockingford and cut them apart by hand, trimming them all to be exactly the same size. The Fabriano was cut into strips 5 cm wide, trimmed to be exactly the same width and folded in half. I creased the fold with a ruler, These were then glued to the A5 sheets while lining the sheets up carefully in the book guide. Result is a nice four-square concertina book which is currently in the book press. Later today I will attach the black ribbon and buckle. I will make another one so I have two to choose from. 

This afternoon's job is pasting fabric to paper. It is sunny but bitterly cold and I am not keen on trying to operate in the garage because my hands will get too cold to be sure of doing things accurately. So it will be in the kitchen. After all wheat starch paste is hardly poisonous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.