Wednesday 9 March 2011

Paper-backed Fabric

The paper-backed fabric had all dried out thoroughly this morning. The two orange/brown pieces are woven by Cally Booker. There is a slight amount of paste which has come through the fabric but fortunately it is at a corner which will be trimmed off anyway. The top right fabric is a Japanese cotton while the other two are dyed by the owners (Memo to self:- I must find out how these were done).  These are all for the Japanese bookbinding class in Dundee.

Text-books say you can remove the fabric from its board after an hour but I find that they are still damp then and,  when dried, they curl up. Hence leaving them overnight. They are all nice and flat.








These two pieces of fabric were done for my own books. Christmas Carol is at the top and the cover for my new Day book at the bottom. I did wonder if the last would work as the decoration applied to the green cotton  is quite thick. But it is all okay.

I can't see these these two books being bound for the next week or so. Time I had another blitz on completing projects!  But not till I get back from Dundee. I fly there on Friday the 18th. Robin, our son-in-law, will be here to look after Michael. They can discuss the world and what's wrong with it for five days without drawing breathe.

What I need to do in the next week is make sure I take everything with me for teaching seven people how to make Japanese style books. A bit of listmaking is required.

I have taken photos of a Morning Glory book ready for the entry form. In the Event will be photographed today. I am toying with the idea of doing a double weave book as well. I have till 31st March to complete it and I only need 7 pages for what I have in mind. I will just get on and weave it as I need it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.