Thursday 13 May 2010

Summer and Winter the Mahotan Way

At Wokefield Park residential weekend, I tried out several different patterns in Margaret Roach Wheeler's class, 'The Mahotan Way'. This is the combination of patterns I liked best as a basis for designing a top. The warp was shown previously and is black, two shades of red and green warped up randomly. In the photo on the left, two colours of weft were used, black and cream. Both warp and weft are 2/12 cotton from William Hall.  I tried a number of other colour combinations  but they did not seem so effective. The design is done, in so far as I have measured me, adapted Margaret's pattern to my dimensions, and written down in detail what I have to weave. Weaving will start shortly!

I have spent some time this evening winding all my 2/8 ecru Tencel into skeins ready for dyeing. I also checked on what Procion MX I have in the garage. So we are ready for dyeing at the weekend. Tomorrow I am going to Mansfield for the day to look at the Association's Exhibition. Expect a report by Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.