Monday 3 May 2010

Odd Jobs

We have Margaret Wheeler arriving tomorrow to stay with us when we both go to Wokefield Park, Reading on Friday for a residential weekend. This is Kennet Valley Guild's biannual bunfight. We have four tutors of whom Margaret is one. Anyway I have a treat on Wednesday because she has an invitation to Birmingham Museum warehouse to view Native American artefacts in their stash and I am going along as chaffeur and security guard.

This is all an introduction to the fact that house needs tidying up and that is what I have been doing. Other people have half-finished projects. I have not-quite-started-yet projects. In the upstairs room, there were several such which are several months old. I had a huge tidy up - you can see the floor now and then sewed buttons on garments, sewed loops on to my waffle weave towels and did something about my sister Dorothy's journal quilt which was stuck on the wall with Blu-tak but started falling off. This involved

- finding the one inch wide white bias binding - a major exercise
- hand sewing a strip of it on the back of quilt at the top - the easy bit
- searching the cellar for something suitable to hang it from
- finding a piece of dowelling and cutting it to length, sanding the ends down
- hammering a picture hook into the wall
- inserting dowelling into quilt pocket, attaching brass wire to dowelling and hanging


The dimensions are A4.

All told, 45 minutes for the quilt. I think tea is called for and there are some Welsh cakes brought by a visitor this morning.

But more jobs remain to be done.



















 Warping up has also been going on. The Jacob/Wensleydale is plied and very flecky. There is some black and white yarn to the right. The space-dyed yarn is much greener than I realised. This is going to be very interesting when woven up. 'Interesting' as in 'This could be unspeakable'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.