Sunday 16 May 2010

Quilting Show at Malvern

 went to the Malvern Quilting Show yesterday. Just down the road for a mile to get to an International Exhibition! I can remember going several years ago and shutting my eyes to the quilts, all sentimental tosh. Not so today. Very high class. Not as big as the NEC Quilt Show in Birmingham in August but up along side it in quality. As usual no photos as I am not happy about that. 


I wanted to buy some fabric for covering Japanese style books and bought these from various stalls. Most are cotton but two are silk (top brown one plus the blue with cherry blossom one below that). One is indigo (top left). The lower left red brown is an ikat weave which I shall be using today on the book on caladiums!

I have been practising doing a cover for Alice in Wonderland. It looks like a black photo frame! The right hand one is complete and was printed on normal photocopy paper and the paper has creases in it. The one on the left is only the picture and is printed on card stock and has no wrinkles so I shall use that. What you do is 
1) cut a piece of 2mm grey board the right size for the cover
2) cut a rectangular hole in it, placing it carefully with respect to the edges . Call this the frame. The hole has to be just big enough for the picture to show through.
3) glue the picture to thinner card or board, in my case 1mm grey board.
4) cut the edges to match the frame piece
5) cut a piece of book cloth larger than the frame and mark on the back where the frame has to go
6) glue the book cloth to the frame with PVA, covering all the book cloth with PVA.
7) turn the sandwich over and cut across the 'hole' from corner to corner.
8) turn these triangular flaps in and trim them.
9) put the whole thing down on the picture and fold over the outer flaps to catch in the picture on its board. And there you are. It looks okay but doing front and back in the same piece of book cloth might present problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.