Saturday 22 May 2010

Best Laid Plans - -

I have been weaving away at the Fan Reed fabric and suddenly realised that I am nearly out of light orange weft. I knew about that so Plan B swung into action. I dug out the dye sheet (one of Ros Wilson's many excellences is that she insisted I keep records of dyeing!) and, oh yes, I need 150 gm of 2% KEMTEX orange for 75 gms of 60/2 silk.  So I make up a 75 gms skein of 60/2 silk and then look for 2% solution Orange in garage cupboard, none. Never mind, look for dye powder to make up a new batch of 2% solution - none. None, what do you mean none?  So Plan C is

- order Dye (done by FAX)
- wait till tomorrow to weave up remainder of orange weft because I want to take a lot of photos for my talk to London Guild and there is lots of light in that room before lunch.
- When that is done, I can finish off the samples for Fine Threads Group in either of the other two colours, brown and dark orange. Or possibly better use some yellow which I have from Handweavers Studio.

I have woven 60 cm of the 80 I need for the samples. Since the family is coming over tomorrow, I will only be able to weave in the morning.

I am going to have to post on Wednesday if Lillian is to get these by June 1st.  So I will have to do the write up this evening.

The weather continues fine as it says somewhere.

A big shock to my nervous system has been that a caladium has flowered. I am not at all keen on arum lilies - and that's what we have!! Unfortunately the flower went over very fast before I remembered to take a photo but another flower will be open tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.